Performance tests I did with FreeBSD, Linux and PostgreSQL

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 27 08:51:22 PDT 2003

Bill Moran wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> I don't know if 5.1-RELEASE has malloc debugging enabled, but to be on
>> the safe side you should maybe do a "ln -s aj /etc/malloc.conf" before
>> you start PostgreSQL.

malloc debugging is disabled in 5.0-R and 5.1-R.  Once we hit
5-STABLE it will be turned off for good in the branch.

> I may look into that, but it seems like the more important thing to do
> is test 4.8 at this point.
>
> If you look at the times, these tests are time-consuming.  I probably
> should have reduced the number of records involved, but if I do that
> now, I have to rerun all the tests ...

It would be interesting to see if the recent locking of the ATA driver
has any benefit on these tests.  Of course if you update to 5-CURRENT
then you'll need to disable INVARIANTS, WITNESS, and malloc debugging.

Scott