What is best TCP throughput benchmarking tool?

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Fri Oct 19 23:23:44 UTC 2018

20.10.2018 6:03, Lev Serebryakov wrote:

>>>  Looks like benchmark/wrk is HTTP benchmark, opposite to what I need...
>> Together with nginx, wrk can serve as quick TCP traffic generator/receiver.
>> I've used them in 40G environment with success.
>  To be honest, I don't want to run nginx on both ends (and I need to test
> both directions) and it is hard to control time of one connection (by
> sending file size?) and monitor speed in test progress...

You do not need to micro-control this. The wrk provides you with nice stats
plus you have counters of "systat -ifstat 1" during long test.

>  All these tools — wrk, nginx — are optimized for many concurrent
> connections on powerful hardware and looks like overkill to test one
> connection bandwidth on Atom CPU.

You can choose number of concurrent connections yourself while running wrk.

>  BTW, how to configure nginx to server 16G+ file without any disk access?
> One big hole on tmpfs? :)

You do not need large disk file in case of wrk+nginx. Make small-sized tmpfs
with single several megabytes-sized file, and that's all.