What is best TCP throughput benchmarking tool?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 19 23:03:30 UTC 2018

Hello Eugene,

Saturday, October 20, 2018, 12:18:01 AM, you wrote:

>>> Try benchmarks/wrk. It works pretty well for speeds lower than 40Gbit/s
>>> but its version 4.0.2 had its own rough edges demanding a router between TCP endpoints.
>>> I have not tried its newer versions, though.
>>  Looks like benchmark/wrk is HTTP benchmark, opposite to what I need...
> Together with nginx, wrk can serve as quick TCP traffic generator/receiver.
> I've used them in 40G environment with success.
 To be honest, I don't want to run nginx on both ends (and I need to test
both directions) and it is hard to control time of one connection (by
sending file size?) and monitor speed in test progress...

 All these tools — wrk, nginx — are optimized for many concurrent
connections on powerful hardware and looks like overkill to test one
connection bandwidth on Atom CPU.

 BTW, how to configure nginx to server 16G+ file without any disk access?
One big hole on tmpfs? :)

--
Best regards,
 Lev                            mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org