Static route & NAT

Spadge Fromley spadge at fromley.net
Tue Oct 17 02:39:36 PDT 2006

> I much of this is from http://www.irbs.net/FreeBSD/FAQ/networking.html .
>
>> > I am wondering how to implement a freebsd router without NAT enbaled?
>> > There are 3 subnets connected to this freebsd router. all of
>> them need to
>> > access the Internet.
> Due to the lack of NAT, I assume that they all use public interfaces.

I'm not so brave.

> You may want to look into the installation of routed

That would have been my 'Plan B' :)

>> I have to admit to not being entirely sure what it is you're asking.
> I am not either, but I hope to provide some good info.
>
>> Does ipfw not just handle it?
> It can, but doing so requires that special rules be put in place. Every
> rule that is processed accumulates additional delay.

Yeah, but if you're just passing packets to and from three subnets, then
you can get away with less than a handful of rules to cover it.

> There is an easier way to forward packets from each network. Simply change
> 'net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0' to 'net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1' via sysctl.
> You can also enable this in rc.conf via 'gateway_enable="YES"'.

Totally, but if you have a firewall in place, you're still going to need
to allow the traffic to pass through in either direction.

>> I suspect the easiest way may be to have one NIC per subnet in the fbsd
>> router, and use natd.
> More than one nic is not required, but if you have the slots available, it
> can save some increadible headaches. It is possible (however extreemly
> unwise) to run all 3 of them in via a single NIC.

Hence "easiest way" :)

I've added the original poster to the CC list.

I'm no routing expert, so I'm learning as I type.

--
Spadge
'Intoccabile'