Virtual Network Interfaces

Raymond Wagner wagnerr at zoomtown.com
Sun Oct 15 23:13:01 PDT 2006

My ISP provides me up to 5 dynamically assigned addresses out of a /20
block.  I have more than 5 machines on my network, so I have no choice but
to run NAT, however I would like to force two of those machines onto their
own external addresses.  If I had static addresses, I could simply alias the
addresses into the external interface and then use "binat" in pf to redirect
the traffic. However, the addresses have to be requested from the DHCP
server, and expire after 4 hours.

I can get this to work by running the NAT function under QEMU and just
giving the virtual machine several interfaces bridged to the physical
external interface.  Running a VM is far from ideal.  Is there any way I
could set up a virtual network interface that could be bridged to the true
interface and grab its own DHCP address?

Thanks,
Raymond Wagner