Static route & NAT

Aaron Burke aburke at nullplusone.net
Tue Oct 17 00:04:16 PDT 2006

I much of this is from http://www.irbs.net/FreeBSD/FAQ/networking.html .

> > I am wondering how to implement a freebsd router without NAT enbaled?
> > There are 3 subnets connected to this freebsd router. all of
> them need to
> > access the Internet.
Due to the lack of NAT, I assume that they all use public interfaces.
You may want to look into the installation of routed.

> I have to admit to not being entirely sure what it is you're asking.
I am not either, but I hope to provide some good info.

> Does ipfw not just handle it?
It can, but doing so requires that special rules be put in place. Every
rule that is processed accumulates additional delay.

There is an easier way to forward packets from each network. Simply change
'net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0' to 'net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1' via sysctl.
You can also enable this in rc.conf via 'gateway_enable="YES"'.

> I suspect the easiest way may be to have one NIC per subnet in the fbsd
> router, and use natd.
More than one nic is not required, but if you have the slots available, it
can save some increadible headaches. It is possible (however extreemly
unwise) to run all 3 of them in via a single NIC.

SNIP

-- Aaron