snd_envy24{,ht} recording support?

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Wed Mar 20 07:52:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:19:59 +0100
David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately the snd_envy* drivers are very bad supported. It lacks a
> lot of code to support the full card. I have had a card with a chip
> that was *supported* (but not) by the driver and I didn't manage to
> play any sound..
>
> The current code of the driver is - I think - at early stages because
> of lot of commented code so I guess the maintainer didn't have too
> much time to spend on that.

I don't think that we'll ever see a bigger update to the snd_env*
family. I haven't seen Konstantin Dimitrov (the maintainer) for years,
the link to the datasheets and documentation [1] is long dead and even
the existing patches like kern/152378 weren't committed. And the times
have changed. While not perfect most snd_hda chips are good enough for
just listen to music, there's the possibility to send a digital signal
by spdif to an external a/d-converter, etc... The need for high end add
in sound cards is much lower than 10 years ago.

1: http://envy24.svobodno.com

--
Homepage:  www.yamagi.org
XMPP:      yamagi at yamagi.org