HDA patch 20080903 experience

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 20:40:51 UTC 2008

Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> I'm testing the 20080903 HDA patch on RELENG_7 on a Sony PCG-4N1M
> laptop.
>
> # cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007061600/amd64)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA codec #0 Realtek ALC262 PCM #0> at hdac0 cad 0 kld snd_hda [20080904_0106] [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
>
> Firstly, with the old HDA driver, muting the internal speakers when a
> jack was inserted did not work, now it works correctly.  I also get two
> extra mixer options ("mix" and "monitor"), "monitor" seems to be the
> internal microphone.

Driver uses "monitor" name for the first internal or second external
microphone. "mix" is an input to output monitoring mix volume.

> The only problem I have so far with the new driver is that I get a short
> high-pitched scream when the module is loaded.  I believe this is
> feedback from the internal speakers to the internal microphone, as I get
> a very similar sound if I turn the "monitor" channel up.  Is there any
> way to fix this?  Maybe by setting it's volume to zero before enabling
> it or similar?

During initialization driver was used to set all used amplifiers to the
maximum position. That caused audio loop in your case (via monitor =>
mix => vol) until mixer initialization restored their normal level. I
have changed defaults from maximum to 0dB amplification. I think it
should help in your case.

> I also cannot get sound from the internal CD ROM drive, but this didn't
> work with the old HDA driver either.  Is this something that can be made
> to work somehow?

Your system vendor does not declare CD pin in codec configuration. But
it is still possible that it is present on usual for this codec place.
You may try to declare it with such device hint:
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid28.config="as=2 seq=1 device=CD"
If you also have any other audio connectors on your notebook not
detected by driver, you may try to add alike hints for other disabled pins.
Tell me please if you succeed with this to make a permanent quirk.

Also in new driver version (20080905) I have tuned mixer detection a
bit, so now you should get working master volume control. Also I have
added some quirks which should give you PCBEEP signal working and
controlled (using "speaker"+"mix" controls) if is appropriately
connected in hardware.

--
Alexander Motin