HDA patch 20080903 experience

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 5 15:56:47 UTC 2008

I'm testing the 20080903 HDA patch on RELENG_7 on a Sony PCG-4N1M
laptop.

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007061600/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA codec #0 Realtek ALC262 PCM #0> at hdac0 cad 0 kld snd_hda [20080904_0106] [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)

Firstly, with the old HDA driver, muting the internal speakers when a
jack was inserted did not work, now it works correctly.  I also get two
extra mixer options ("mix" and "monitor"), "monitor" seems to be the
internal microphone.

The only problem I have so far with the new driver is that I get a short
high-pitched scream when the module is loaded.  I believe this is
feedback from the internal speakers to the internal microphone, as I get
a very similar sound if I turn the "monitor" channel up.  Is there any
way to fix this?  Maybe by setting it's volume to zero before enabling
it or similar?

I also cannot get sound from the internal CD ROM drive, but this didn't
work with the old HDA driver either.  Is this something that can be made
to work somehow?

dmesg and pindump at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/dmesg-v-sony-PCG-4N1M
http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/pindump-sony-PCG-4N1M