HDA patch 20080903 experience

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 18 09:32:31 UTC 2008

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only have intermittent access to the
laptop in question.

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 23:40 +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> > The only problem I have so far with the new driver is that I get a short
> > high-pitched scream when the module is loaded.  I believe this is
> > feedback from the internal speakers to the internal microphone, as I get
> > a very similar sound if I turn the "monitor" channel up.  Is there any
> > way to fix this?  Maybe by setting it's volume to zero before enabling
> > it or similar?
>
> During initialization driver was used to set all used amplifiers to the
> maximum position. That caused audio loop in your case (via monitor =>
> mix => vol) until mixer initialization restored their normal level. I
> have changed defaults from maximum to 0dB amplification. I think it
> should help in your case.

This does seem to be fixed with hda.7.20080913.patch, many thanks!

> > I also cannot get sound from the internal CD ROM drive, but this didn't
> > work with the old HDA driver either.  Is this something that can be made
> > to work somehow?
>
> Your system vendor does not declare CD pin in codec configuration. But
> it is still possible that it is present on usual for this codec place.
> You may try to declare it with such device hint:
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid28.config="as=2 seq=1 device=CD"
> If you also have any other audio connectors on your notebook not
> detected by driver, you may try to add alike hints for other disabled pins.
> Tell me please if you succeed with this to make a permanent quirk.

I haven't managed to find the correct way to do this yet.  Even with the
above hint in place, the output of dev.hdac.0.pindump shows them as
[DISABLED], is that correct?

> Also in new driver version (20080905) I have tuned mixer detection a
> bit, so now you should get working master volume control. Also I have
> added some quirks which should give you PCBEEP signal working and
> controlled (using "speaker"+"mix" controls) if is appropriately
> connected in hardware.

Master volume and PCBEEP do work correctly now, although I can't say for
sure that they didn't work in the previous version.

Thanks again!

Gavin