Kbtv2 beta1 available

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Feb 11 15:45:55 PST 2008

Folks,

last night I uploaded the first testing version of kbtv2. While I'm interested
in any feedback/bug reports, initially I want to focus on fixing important
problems on FreeBSD6, before moving my development platform to 7.

There are known (API) problems with the saa kernel module under FreeBSD7+, so
this is something that I plan to address soon but not just yet. A quick test
earlier this evening also revealed that after a cold boot the saa backend's
tuning doesn't seem to work at all. This I want to address before moving to
FreeBSD7 (likely in the next beta).

The bktr, cxm, and pwc backends seem to work alright. I'm aware of some GUI
bugs/bloopers but none are showstoppers ATM.

Kbtv2 comes as one single source tarball, with 3rd party stuff (kernel
modules, firmware) included. It's split up into ports like this:

multimedia/kbtv2
multimedia/kbtv2-backend-bktr
multimedia/kbtv2-backend-cxm
multimedia/kbtv2-backend-pwc
multimedia/kbtv2-backend-saa
multimedia/kbtv2-core
multimedia/kbtv2-gui-qt4
multimedia/kbtv2-kmod-cxm
multimedia/kbtv2-kmod-pwc
multimedia/kbtv2-kmod-saa

The first is just a metaport with RUN_DEPENDS for the others (if selected),
the core classes can be used without the GUI, and the backends can be used
together with core or by themselves (as C libraries/python wrappers to them).

Backends require SDL and swig, the cxm backend also ffmpeg. The GUI uses PyQt4
(not KDE4). I've been using newer versions of SDL and PyQt4 than the ones
currently in ports, but I don't expect any difficulties because of that.

Kbtv2, the app, can be installed without interfering with any existing kbtv1
install. Application/config data goes into ~/.kbtv.

Web page:
http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv2

Detailed documentation:
http://freebsd.ricin.com/kbtv2/README

Please note that I receive PAL (B/G) here, and forcibly that's all I can
really test.

Cheers,

Dan