MythTV port upgrade?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 31 00:02:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 00:07 +0100, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> >   To make sure OpenGL is built into QT 3.3, I created a slave port
> > (x11-toolkits/qt33-opengl with CONFLICTS set for qt-3.3.* et al.)
> and
> > made mythtv-frontend depend on that.  Let me know what you think of
> that
> > idea.
>
> Yeah that didn't came up because its "on" per default but you are
> absolutely right - that can fail the mythtv port. The name qt33-opengl
> suggests, that it is an enhanced version of qt33 but qt33 already has
> opengl on per default so wouldn't it be better to depend on qt33 and
> create an qt33-noopengl port? I've looked over mythtv's configure and
> it is also possible to compile mythtv without opengl support if that
> helps in any way. But we would need a reliable way to detect opengl
> support nevertheless.

The problem with these types of slave ports is that there isn't
currently a way to depend on port A or port A-option.  i.e. many ports
will depend on qt33, while myth will depend on qt33-opengl.  Sure, you
can go in after the fact and pkg_delete -f qt33 and add qt33-opengl, but
your dependency map will still be wrong.  Tools like
ports-mgmt/portmanager walk the entire dependency map for your installed
ports and will find the issue and declare that qt33 is required by lots
of ports, determine that a conflicting port is installed and attempt to
resolve the situation, ultimately failing to update either myth or
everything else that depends on qt33.

I don't use kde nor qt33, so I'm not sure how to go about identifying
the availability of opengl support, but what is needed is a mechanism to
determine if qt33 has opengl support and either mark the myth port
BROKEN if opengl support isn't available alerting the user of the issue
or set whatever the appropriate --without-opengl option in the myth
configure script is...

robert.