Starting Skype

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Nov 9 14:50:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 10:39:36 +0200
Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com> wrote:

> Are you using FreeBSD 6.2-prerelease i386 ? because I have similar problems.
> When I start skype as user (never tried with superuser) it cannot
> connect, and while trying
> to do so, it fuck up the whole network. Also when this happened skype
> cannot be killed with -9 even.

I've got skype running since... 6.0 pretty much... no problems at all, ever.
always running as normal user. Does your user have access to the sound devices?
Now i'm up to RELENG kernel+world of early this week

> I tried to find something with ktrace, but I really do not understand
> very much what's going on.
> I notice that skype goes mad and calls a lot gethostbyname().
>
> Well skype is binary (for linux) without debug symbols in it so I guess
> it is almost impossible to know what happens,
> and may be those complains have to be sent to skype.com ? :)

if you run as root, do you get that "many" gethostbyname calls?

what is it trying to find? ( wireshark may help you)

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which
they avoid. " Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

Warned.