What apps are known to work with Mat's MIDI patches?

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 8 19:26:48 GMT 2005

On Jun 08, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I'm currently on the verge of doing one of two things; either:
>
> 1) Go out and buy an emu10k1-based soundcard, apply Mat's MIDI patches
> to my KERNEL, and see what I can do with it, or...
>
> 2) Overwrite my existing install of FreeBSD-STABLE on my amd64 box with
> the amd64 version of Gentoo Linux.
>
> The second approach, granted, is rather drastic, and one which I'd just
> as soon avoid, but I've reached the point where I simply am no longer
> willing to put up with having no MIDI support.
>
> The only reason for this post is that I'm curious about just how
> satisfactory alternative (1) above would be.  Assuming a kernel with a
> properly configured MIDI port (connected to an external synth, of
> course), what applications will I be able to use with this?  I know that
> many of the current MIDI applications for Linux require ALSA, so that
> rules out quite a few of them right there. So what's left, then?  I
> need a lot more than just simple MIDI playback; I want to be able to
> create my own sequences, preferably using my MIDI keyboard as an input
> device.
>
> Anyone currently doing anything in this area who could offer some
> opinions?

	I'm not advocating #2 but I've yet to see anything really work
with recording with either the old or new version of midi.  If someone
has contrary experience, I would love to know about it (you would not
beleive the amount of time I wasted trying to get rosegarden to work).
Anthem is quite cool and I think it's the closest application out
there to working for record.
	Could you point to applications that require ALSA?  I wonder
what SALSA could do for us in this situation.
	Playbay is the most dificult to implement, recording is quite
easy, we just haven't got there yet.
	--Mat