What apps are known to work with Mat's MIDI patches?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 10:49:25 GMT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:26:29 -0400
Mathew Kanner <mat at cnd.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> On Jun 08, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > I'm currently on the verge of doing one of two things; either:
> >
> > 1) Go out and buy an emu10k1-based soundcard, apply Mat's MIDI
> > patches to my KERNEL, and see what I can do with it, or...
> >
> > 2) Overwrite my existing install of FreeBSD-STABLE on my amd64 box
> > with the amd64 version of Gentoo Linux.
> >
> > The second approach, granted, is rather drastic, and one which I'd
> > just as soon avoid, but I've reached the point where I simply am no
> > longer willing to put up with having no MIDI support.
> >
> > The only reason for this post is that I'm curious about just how
> > satisfactory alternative (1) above would be.  Assuming a kernel
> > with a properly configured MIDI port (connected to an external
> > synth, of course), what applications will I be able to use with
> > this?  I know that many of the current MIDI applications for Linux
> > require ALSA, so that rules out quite a few of them right there. So
> > what's left, then?  I need a lot more than just simple MIDI
> > playback; I want to be able to create my own sequences, preferably
> > using my MIDI keyboard as an input device.
> >
> > Anyone currently doing anything in this area who could offer some
> > opinions?
>
> 	I'm not advocating #2 but I've yet to see anything really work
> with recording with either the old or new version of midi.  If someone
> has contrary experience, I would love to know about it (you would not
> beleive the amount of time I wasted trying to get rosegarden to work).

Same here.  :-)

> Anthem is quite cool and I think it's the closest application out
> there to working for record.

Yes, it does look quite interesting.  Not usable yet, but
interesting.  :-)

> 	Could you point to applications that require ALSA?  I wonder
> what SALSA could do for us in this situation.

Well, the one that comes to mind first is Rosegarden 4 (*not* the
older version), which is the one I would most like to be able to use.
There are others, for sure.

> 	Playbay is the most dificult to implement, recording is quite
> easy, we just haven't got there yet.

Hmm, not familiar with that.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"