What apps are known to work with Mat's MIDI patches?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Jun 8 19:02:30 GMT 2005

I'm currently on the verge of doing one of two things; either:

1) Go out and buy an emu10k1-based soundcard, apply Mat's MIDI patches
to my KERNEL, and see what I can do with it, or...

2) Overwrite my existing install of FreeBSD-STABLE on my amd64 box with
the amd64 version of Gentoo Linux.

The second approach, granted, is rather drastic, and one which I'd just
as soon avoid, but I've reached the point where I simply am no longer
willing to put up with having no MIDI support.

The only reason for this post is that I'm curious about just how
satisfactory alternative (1) above would be.  Assuming a kernel with a
properly configured MIDI port (connected to an external synth, of
course), what applications will I be able to use with this?  I know that
many of the current MIDI applications for Linux require ALSA, so that
rules out quite a few of them right there. So what's left, then?  I
need a lot more than just simple MIDI playback; I want to be able to
create my own sequences, preferably using my MIDI keyboard as an input
device.

Anyone currently doing anything in this area who could offer some
opinions?

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"