Hauppauge PVR-250 / 350 Driver

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Mon Dec 1 21:59:19 PST 2003

Anish Mistry wrote this message on Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 20:59 -0500:
> > Take a look at:
> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jmg/videobsd.html
> > for more info on what I've cooked up so far on the subject.  Right now
> > it's just words, but I want to make sure some things are good and
> > complete before I start writing code to back it all.
> >
> I took a quick look through the page and just wanted to make a small
> comment with my miniscule usb knowledge.  About async'ing the library and
> usb.  It depends on the usb device driver.  I know for a fact that ugen
> does NOT buffer, which normally is pain, but in this case it may be good.
> We can always create a special u* device for video sources from usb if
> needed that don't buffer, but aren't ugen ie. uvid*.  Most other u*
> devices buffer.

Well, I was thinking/planning on doing the usb side as userland.. since
we have the ugen driver in userland, and most of the work should be able
to be done in userland, so it's less risk of running into kernel issues,
(and supporting new devices w/o having to load a new module)..

I was thinking of using asyncio to get around the blocking issue...
I fixed one of the issues with the code recently, but plan to try to
put it through it's paces soon...

> If you need help coding, or other things, let me know I'd love to help.

Cool.. :) I'll keep you in mind..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579