Wireless/Wired LAN autoswitch

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 20:25:33 UTC 2006

Greetings mobile subscribers,

I have been playing around with trying to get wireless/wired switching
working on my 6.1 PRERELEASE laptop, but haven't had much luck.  I can
control the wired connection via ifconfig and the wireless via
wpa_supplicant, but I am having a difficult time getting the routing
adjusted when I plug/unlpug the network cable.

I am new to wireless in FreeBSD and don't have a lot of experience with
using ifconfig/route in general, so maybe I am doing something brain dead.
I tried the following workflow:

killall dhcp
route flush
(exec start wpa_supplicant script)
route add 192.168.2.1 (for wireless)

But that doesn't seem to work.  I have had the best luck when I do ifconfig
bfe0 down to force not using the wired connection.  I have also tried
putting the script in /etc/devd.conf but I it didn't work as I expected, so
I doubt I had that configured correctly.

I guess my question comes in 2 parts. a) Besides using cron and scraping
ifconfig, how do I detect the plug/unplug events and b) how do I reliable
change the routing table to point to the correct gateway?

Thanks for any pointers.