pccard 56k preventing suspend

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Sep 12 15:38:25 PDT 2003

> From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net>
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:29:57 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hmmmm....
>
> Just when I thought I had everything working:
>
> I bought a remanufactured 56k 3Com Megahertz 3CXM756.
>
> The modem works great, but now I've found that I
> can't suspend my laptop unless I remove the card.
>
> Nothing bad happens if I try to suspend with the
> card plugged in - it just goes into standby mode,
> and I can come out of standby with no ill side-
> effects, but it's a bit inconvenient having to
> remove my shiny new pccard everytime I want to
> suspend.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I tried using pccardc to power down the slot, but
> I'm not running pccardd, and /dev/card* doesn't
> exist...

This seems to be an IBM BIOS issue that I've never tracked down. I
seldom use a PCcard with my T30 as it has WiFi and Ethernet built in,
but I believe that it suspends OK when I disconnect the AC line. I
might also get there by switching from X to a vty. I did this a lot on
my old 600E.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)