pccard 56k preventing suspend

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Sep 12 15:49:36 PDT 2003

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net>
>> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:29:57 -0400
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>>
>> Hmmmm....
>>
>> Just when I thought I had everything working:
>>
>> I bought a remanufactured 56k 3Com Megahertz 3CXM756.
>>
>> The modem works great, but now I've found that I
>> can't suspend my laptop unless I remove the card.
>>
>> Nothing bad happens if I try to suspend with the
>> card plugged in - it just goes into standby mode,
>> and I can come out of standby with no ill side-
>> effects, but it's a bit inconvenient having to
>> remove my shiny new pccard everytime I want to
>> suspend.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I tried using pccardc to power down the slot, but
>> I'm not running pccardd, and /dev/card* doesn't
>> exist...
>
> This seems to be an IBM BIOS issue that I've never tracked down. I
> seldom use a PCcard with my T30 as it has WiFi and Ethernet built in,
> but I believe that it suspends OK when I disconnect the AC line.

Wow. You're right. That works. Wierd.

> might also get there by switching from X to a vty. I did this a lot on
> my old 600E.

I automatically switch to a vty from my rc.suspend script. Otherwise
the laptop never comes back on-line on resume.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of scripting. If I add:

device card 1 # pccard bus

Do you think I'll then be able to power down the card slot with:

pccardc power 1 0

And then do a successful suspend even with the AC plugged?

Also, do I have to add that device line to my kernel? Or is there a
dynamic way to do it using the hints file?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,