What's going on here. Can I help? Test?

Steffen M. Boelaars freebsd.org at graphicscave.com
Tue May 13 14:27:21 PDT 2003

> robert@ is working on an R10K machine as well (an Octane?).  I'm
> working on IP22s.

I have a whole shitload of SGI's here:

Indigo R3000 33MHz
Indy R4400 150MHz
o2 R5000 180MHz
Indigo2 R4400 250MHz
Indigo2 R10000 195MHz
Octane R12000 300MHz

Scream if I can do something with them for this project. They are just sitting
here (Except for the Octane, that's my main workstation :)

> Nothing really works now.  A ton of kernel code is still needed,
> currently I'm trying to get exceptions working properly (the NetBSD
> code leaves a bit to be desired and doesn't work right @64-bits).
> Also I am seeing a lot of unexpected access (deterministic) to bogus
> bits of memory, possibly as a result of stack corruption, or a
> stack size issue, I'm not sure.  Using random printfs seems to make
> these things better/worse non-deterministically, but a printf in a
> given location deterministically changes how things work.  This may
> be evidence of a compiler bug, but I'm not sure.  Certainly there
> are bugs in the compiler.  With -O the compiler ICEs, I seem to
> recall.  imp@ suggests maybe it's a cache issue, but I've tried
> with L1 cache disabled, with the kernel running in KSEG1, and so
> on, to no avail.

That looks like a lot of work. i've never worked at an OS before, but Hey, I
got to start some day somewhere, not? I have no clue what I could do, but
there must be something (Even if it's just testing/trying some things some
day)

Steffen M. Boelaars