some heads ups and the like.

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 9 22:46:09 PDT 2003

FYI:

Updating the compiler config and related to Suck a lot less:
	o) Use gp-relative accesses of stuff.
	o) Use the elf64.h provided with GCC.
	o) Fix optimisation.
	o) Use dwarf2 debugging (so plain -g works).
	o) Remove redundant code.
	o) Turn off OBJECT_FORMAT_COFF.

Made elf2ecoff work for kernels (and presumably loaders as such):
	o) Ignore PT_MIPS_REGINFO (this affects most anything)
	o) Ignore PT_INTERP, PT_DYNAMIC (this affects solely the
	   kernel and other dynamic executables, it is safely
	   ignored in the kernel as they're unused...  Just have
	   to say that people booting without sash on an ECOFF-pure
	   system must use no loader?)

Snag DDB support from NetBSD.
	o) Note: it is useless, as exceptions are b0rked, maybe
	   because of addressing issues with 64-bits vs. 32??
	o) BadVAddr exceptions do work to the point of printf but
	   not DDB.  This is as useful as ARCS.  As such, ARCS
	   exceptions are now switched off.

I've also done random fixes to the kernel:
	o) Huge temp stack this is XXX, but just in case.
	o) Call mutex_init, this fixes the random mutex errors I
	   was seeing, of most sorts, but there is something wrong
	   as down the road (with witness) Giant seems to be unused
	   but that should not be the case.
	o) SYSINIT printfs so you can tell where stuff goes.
	o) Page zeroing from Alpha pmap.  I am looking at approaches
	   towards doing a full pmap, this is just to make the wrong
	   places more apparent.

Thanx,
juli.

--