What's going on here. Can I help? Test?

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 8 17:14:10 PDT 2003

* "Steffen M. Boelaars" <freebsd.org at graphicscave.com> [ Date: 2003-05-08 ]
	[ w.r.t. What's going on here. Can I help? Test? ]
> And apart from this I am also myself just very interested in getting another
> OS than Irix to run on one of my many SGI systems.
> I have an Indigo2 r10000 195 MHz here that is dieing to be used.

robert@ is working on an R10K machine as well (an Octane?).  I'm
working on IP22s.

> Sooo.... after all this blablabla: how's things with the project, where can I
> do something/anything at all to make things work a bit more?

Nothing really works now.  A ton of kernel code is still needed,
currently I'm trying to get exceptions working properly (the NetBSD
code leaves a bit to be desired and doesn't work right @64-bits).
Also I am seeing a lot of unexpected access (deterministic) to bogus
bits of memory, possibly as a result of stack corruption, or a
stack size issue, I'm not sure.  Using random printfs seems to make
these things better/worse non-deterministically, but a printf in a
given location deterministically changes how things work.  This may
be evidence of a compiler bug, but I'm not sure.  Certainly there
are bugs in the compiler.  With -O the compiler ICEs, I seem to
recall.  imp@ suggests maybe it's a cache issue, but I've tried
with L1 cache disabled, with the kernel running in KSEG1, and so
on, to no avail.

Thanx,
juli.
--