FreeBSD 7 and java networking

Andreas Rudisch cyb. at gmx.net
Wed Nov 21 07:04:01 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:10:56 +0000
David Taylor <davidt at yadt.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007, Nick Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, David Taylor wrote:
> >
> > > I've tried compiling java/jdk15 and java/jdk16 bootstrapping with
> > > all three binary jdks (diablo 1.5, linux 1.5, linux 1.6).
> > >
> > > They all give the same problem:
> > >
> > > Running jbidwatcher or azureus results in a mass of messages
> > > like the following, whenever network IO is attempted:
> > >
> > > java.net.ConnectException: Invalid argument
> >
> > Did you try running it with -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true ?
>
> Thank you!
>
> As it turns out, I'd just noticed the global "WITH_IPV6=yes"
> that I'd put in /etc/make.conf, and started recompiling java
> without IPv6 support shortly before you sent that message.
> I had already tried (both native jdks) with IPV6 turned
> off in the "make config" menu -- or so I thought -- but
> my choice was overriden by that forgotten entry.
>
> The IPv6-less jdk works perfectly, now all that remains
> is to figure out why IPv6 support has stopped working...
>
> I'm fairly sure it worked fine before I switched motherboards
> and upgraded to 7-CURRENT (now stable, or beta, or whatever).

I updated from 6.2-release-p8 to 7.0-beta3 and rebuilt all my ports.
Does Azureus work properly for you? For me it does not upload/download
anything. I tried jdk15 and jdk16 both with and without IPv6 support.
Using -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true does not seem to help.

With FreeBSD 6.2 I had to add the following to libmap.conf to run Azureus:
[/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/]
libpthread.so                   libc_r.so
libpthread.so.2                 libc_r.so.6

This does not seem to help either.

I am using ULE and SMP on an Intel Core2Duo.

Andreas
--
GnuPG key  : 0x2A573565  |  http://cyb.websimplex.de/pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 925D 2089 0BF9 8DE5 9166  33BB F0FD CD37 2A57 3565