trouble getting and installing FreeBSD-Java (2)

Steve Strassmann steve at strassmann.com
Tue Aug 14 05:46:02 PDT 2007

>Hi Steve,
>this is in reply to this email and a later one where u ask why it doesn't work.
>
>In short, xorg 7.2 only came out a few months ago - non existing in 4.8. Packages are,AFAIK, only created and uploaded to ftp*.*.freebsd.org for mantained versions of the OS - 4.8 is way out of date.

Thanks for the explanation.

>I wonder why Pair wont give you root access if this is a 'virtual server' == jail .

It is part of Pair's policy which allows them to guarantee their ability to sysadmin.
You can put anything you want in your homedir and run it, but you can't mess with
the Apache config or the OS.

Of course I've wished for sudo privileges many times, but I can appreciate it from their
point of view. I've been with them for 10+ years and have had no QoS complaints. They've
agreed to migrate to FreeBSD 6.2 at any time of my choosing (for free), with a predicted
downtime of about 10 minutes. Once that is done, they've offered to install JDK 1.5 +
Tomcat for me for their standard $50 "make changes to the core" fee.