trouble getting and installing FreeBSD-Java

Steve Strassmann steve at strassmann.com
Sat Aug 11 11:06:57 PDT 2007

Hi, I'm trying to install FreeBSD Java on my pair.com
account (dedicated, not shared server) running FreeBSD 4.8

I visited http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html but there
are no instructions or links for where to download your port.

I was specifically hoping to download the native JDK on FreeBSD,
what is the download URL?

I visited http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/index.html,
but there is no contact info, and again, no download URLs.

I visited http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk15.html.
It suggests I can download JDK 1.5 from Sun. When I go to the Sun
site, there are many different JDK 1.5s to choose from! Which one
do I use? JDK for Windows, Linux, Solaris, for x86 or x64?

I tried downloading JDK 5.0 update 12 for linux on x86, so I have
these two files now:

    jdk-1_5_0_12-linux-i586.bin
    bsd-jdk15-patches-current.tar.bz2

How can I tell if the patches work on this particular JDK?
Will this get me the Native JDK or Sun JDK for Linux?

thanks!
  - Steve