bandwidth monitoring

Jeff Jirsa (HMC) jjirsa at hmc.edu
Fri May 26 11:36:07 PDT 2006

Steve Ames wrote:
> ntop would work if its actually a hub. ntop would work with a switch
> also but you'd have to tell the switch to make sure that your BSD
> box gets a copy of all traffic.

You can use ntop's netflow collector in conjunction with netflow-enabled
switches to avoid spanning all of the traffic to the BSD box. That way,
you're only getting a few UDP streams instead of a copy of all traffic
crossing the switch - much easier to handle.

We use that combination to collect data, then dump at regular intervals into
a database for accounting/billing.

- J

--
Jeff Jirsa
jjirsa at 2advanced.net
Senior Network Engineer
2advanced.net: Precision Hosting Platform