bandwidth monitoring

jonathan michaels jlm at caamora.com.au
Fri May 26 18:10:57 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 08:55:59AM -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> Is there the ability to have a server which is in the common hub
> monitor bandwidth usage of clients going out the gateway?
>
> My telco will shortly be changing billing practices and bandwidth
> usage per client will be extremely important per customer.
>
> Is there a FreeBSD port available to do this, or must I have an appliance
> in-line that all traffic passes thru?

name of package is NetraMet

NeTraMet-4.3   /usr/ports/net/NeTraMet

it is basically self contained excpet for "nifty" which is a x11 based
flow analyser .. all in all it is a goodly package, i used it for a
freebsd v4.6-release project.

this is an tcp/ip network accounting package, it reports on teh trafic
flow through you network and to each node, gives quite detaild reports.
also it can provide lots of stuff teh other "simple" packet counters
are not able to do as they just don't have the tools to be able to do
so. netramet is an implementation of the "internet accounting
architecture" rfc-2063 and rfc 2064

for further details and documentation see ...

WWW: http://www.auckland.ac.nz/net/Accounting/

a basic do teh job toolkit is available from freebsd ports

well hope that this helps, its an oldie but a goodie as tehy used ti
say in teh old days .. <GRIN>

regards and best wishes

jonathan