bandwidth monitoring

Steve Ames steve at virtual-voodoo.com
Fri May 26 11:27:58 PDT 2006

SNMP is solid if each individual client is connected to its own
port on a switch that you have SNMP access to. In that case
your suggestion is dead-on. I was assuming that the information
had to be snagged at a higher layer but re-reading the original
question I'm not sure why I believed that.

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/resource-center/open_source_network_monitoring.php
> seems to provide a quick front en to these tools.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Cody Baker
> cody at wilkshire.net
>

> Steve Ames wrote:
>> ntop would work if its actually a hub. ntop would work with a switch
>> also but you'd have to tell the switch to make sure that your BSD
>> box gets a copy of all traffic.
>>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 08:55:59AM -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>>
>>> Is there the ability to have a server which is in the common hub
>>> monitor bandwidth usage of clients going out the gateway?
>>>
>>> My telco will shortly be changing billing practices and bandwidth
>>> usage per client will be extremely important per customer.
>>>
>>> Is there a FreeBSD port available to do this, or must I have an
>>> appliance in-line that all traffic passes thru?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Jim