FreeBSD 5.4 and ICP iir controller

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Wed Jun 29 21:53:01 GMT 2005

We have an ICP Vortex GDT8546RZ 4 port SATA controller on a FreeBSD
system. Actually, we have a number of them on FreeBSD 4.x systems, and
have always used ICP's driver rather than the FreeBSD driver because
the ICP driver works with their icpcon tool, and FreeBSD 4.x's driver
doesn't.

Well, we've got an ICP card in a FreeBSD 5.4 system now, and I'm
wondering what driver to use. ICP's site lists 5.1 as the most recent
5.x version tested.  The differences between ICP's driver and the
FreeBSD 5.x driver seem to be almost trivial. And the icpcon tool
works just fine with the FreeBSD 5.x driver.

Does anybody have any advice or experience to share on this?