ESS Maestro3, no sound

Muzaffar Ariff mus.bsd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 05:34:01 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to configure my maestro3 on a dell latitude (C600)
but can't seem to get it right. Here's what I've done:

1. Identified my sound card by loading the sound driver module:
   #kldload snd_driver

2. Cat /dev/sndstat to see what sound driver it is:
   FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
   Installed devices:
   pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xd800 irq 5 kld snd_maestro3
   (4p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

3. So then I load the driver directly to /boot/loader.conf:
   snd_maestro3_load="YES"

4. The I reboot the system and used xmms to play my mp3. It runs and
can play the file but no sound! Pump up the volume but nothing
happens. The weird thing is the sound works on Windows. I've search
the startup messages /var/run/dmesg.boot and found the following:

pci0: <bridge, PCI-unknown> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xf3ffe000-0xf3ffffff irq
 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
pcm0: failed: rid 0x10 is ioport, requested 3
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>

Now could there be something wrong with the pci0 or the pcm0? Any
pointers on how to fix this?

--
Muzaffar Ariff
mus.bsd at gmail.com