ADSL for use on server

J. T. Farmer jfarmer at goldsword.com
Wed Jun 8 20:25:42 GMT 2005

Benny Goemans wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm switching from cable to ADSL in a month and I was wondering what (kind of) modem I should best go for. Would it best be one that connects to a NIC or to USB. I'm now using a (console) NAT & proxy server, with which I should be certain it works. For this, I would like to have some possibility to automatically dial at boot time (or if the modem takes care of that, even better).
>
>Should someone be using an ADSL modem on this kind of connection, would it be possible to tell some more about it?

In the US, most providers use a modem with a dual interface.  The one
that I'm using is a Westell provided (aka I purchased) with my BellSouth
ADSL service.  It has both USB and Ethernet interfaces and is configured
to do PPPoE for the connection.  Since I already had a wired network in
place, I passed on configuring a single machine to talk to it and bought
a cheap ethernet to ethernet router, the Linksys BEFSR41.  I could have
setup one of the old 200MHz boxes stacked in the corner to do the same,
but I was under some time constraints and for ~$35USD it was up and
running.  (When the client is your wife, there are always additional
pressures,.... and rewards....)

John