ADSL for use on server

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 8 23:10:02 GMT 2005

Single line paragraphs.

On Wednesday,  8 June 2005 at 19:23:01 +0200, Benny Goemans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm switching from cable to ADSL in a month and I was wondering what
> (kind of) modem I should best go for. Would it best be one that
> connects to a NIC or to USB.

ADSL 2 is coming, with line speeds of up to 24 Mb/s.  I don't think a
USB NIC would do very well with that kind of speed, but maybe I'm just
being biased.

> I'm now using a (console) NAT & proxy server, with which I should be
> certain it works. For this, I would like to have some possibility to
> automatically dial at boot time (or if the modem takes care of that,
> even better).

The ADSL connections I know don't dial.

> Should someone be using an ADSL modem on this kind of connection,
> would it be possible to tell some more about it?

I've just been through the business of setting up an ADSL connection
with a class C network routed via an IP tunnel.  See my experience at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jun2005.html#7.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.

Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.