ADSL for use on server

Dan Ponte dcp1990 at neptune.atopia.net
Wed Jun 8 19:11:19 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:23:01PM +0200, Benny Goemans <benny.goemans at telenet.be> was witnessed plotting the following conspiracy:
> Hi,
>
> I'm switching from cable to ADSL in a month and I was wondering what (kind of) modem I should best go for. Would it best be one that connects to a NIC or to USB. I'm now using a (console) NAT & proxy server, with which I should be certain it works. For this, I would like to have some possibility to automatically dial at boot time (or if the modem takes care of that, even better).
>
> Should someone be using an ADSL modem on this kind of connection, would it be possible to tell some more about it?
>
> Thx in advance,
>
> Benny Goemans
I don't use ADSL (I use cable, a modem which uses Ethernet for
connectivity), but your best bet, barring a similar Ethernet modem, is
to look around in HARDWARE.txt to see if it is compatible. Check the
manpage for the driver; see if there are any caveats to worry about.
-Dan
--
Dan Ponte
http://www.theamigan.net/