ata interrupt allocation problem with SiS 5513 onboard controller

Corey Stotts cstotts at uni.edu
Mon Jan 26 21:48:29 PST 2004

Hi,

I have an old Pentium 133 system using an SiS chipset (PCI bridge 85c501) and
a PhoenixBIOS from cerca 1995. I have encountered the following error while
trying to boot either 4.9-RELEASE or 5.2-RELEASE:

ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0
ata2: unable to allocate interrupt

I am using the onboard IDE built into the chipset. Other OS's are able to
successfully use the device and detect the single hard drive on it. Since the
drive only supports up to PIO mode 3, I am setting hw.ata.ata_dma=0 in the
loader. Setting hw.ata.wc=0 makes no difference.

The system is bare-bones: only a PCI VGA card (Trio64V+ 4 MB) is installed,
otherwise the only other peripherals are the ps/2 keyboard and the built-in
COM1, COM2 and parallel port.

The drive is an old WD caviar 1.08 gb.

Any ideas? This one's a strange one. This little system would make a nice
router/server once I get a couple NICs installed... but first I need to see
the drive!

Thanks
Corey