Reported version numbers of base openssl and sshd

peter at purplecat.net peter at purplecat.net
Wed Oct 5 13:28:29 UTC 2016

Dag-Erling,

No doubt the scanners themselves are at primary fault, and we push back on
them vigorously, typically recommending our customers change scanning
companies for the worst cases, but this of course creates a lot of work.  In
some instances our answer has simply been to firewall off their scanning
servers, which laughably results in a 'pass' from the pci compliance/audit
monkeys.

You are of course completely right about RHEL...And FreeBSD is so superior
in so many ways, it's not even a question--but having proper version numbers
reported would eliminate a lot of headaches for us (and give FreeBSD another
plus).

We would very much prefer ~not~ to display version information at all.
Having that as a variable in a configuration file would be a plus.  Perhaps
one that defaults to actual versions running, with the ability to report
"non of your business."

Thanks for all you do for FreeBSD and its community.

Sincerely,

Peter Brezny
Purplecat Networks, Inc.
www.purplecat.net