Reported version numbers of base openssl and sshd

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 5 14:30:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-05 09:28, peter at purplecat.net wrote:
> Dag-Erling,
>
> No doubt the scanners themselves are at primary fault, and we push back
> on them vigorously, typically recommending our customers change scanning
> companies for the worst cases, but this of course creates a lot of
> work.  In some instances our answer has simply been to firewall off
> their scanning servers, which laughably results in a 'pass' from the pci
> compliance/audit monkeys.
>
> You are of course completely right about RHEL...And FreeBSD is so
> superior in so many ways, it's not even a question--but having proper
> version numbers reported would eliminate a lot of headaches for us (and
> give FreeBSD another plus).
>
> We would very much prefer ~not~ to display version information at all.
> Having that as a variable in a configuration file would be a plus.
> Perhaps one that defaults to actual versions running, with the ability
> to report "non of your business."

In the case of ssh, part of this is already controlled by a variable in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

VersionAddendum FreeBSD-20140420

If you want to control the rest, you'd need to ask the upstream openssh
project. They use the version number information in the banner message
to enable compatibility tweaks.

--
Allan Jude