Fw: FreeBSD smbfs horribly slow

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Fri Nov 13 23:13:33 UTC 2015

> On 2015-11-13 14:25, Mario Lobo wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > It seems no one in @questions had any info/pointers/interest on this
> > so I'm trying @hackers for some light.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:53:11 -0300
> > From: Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br>
> > To: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> > Subject: FreeBSD smbfs horribly slow
> >
> > Googling on this subject, I found:
> >

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-September/098717.html
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2013-January/034239.html
> >
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2014-October/261804.html
> >
> > I am on 10.2-STABLE and using FreeBSD as a client to any amb share
> > continues to be very slow.
> >
> > The share is mounted through mount_smbfs. I tried smbnetfs (fuse) and
> > it is just a tiny bit better but doesn't compare to other clients
> > (linux or win) when writing/reading files
> >
> > It gets even worse if an application is doing operations with variable
> > size records inside a data file on the share.
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice to improve this?
> >
> > Thanks,

> What kind of operations are you doing?
>
> I just mounted a share from my windows desktop on my FreeBSD -CURRENT
> machine, and was able to write new files at 64 megabytes/s (roughly 1/2
> the available gigabit/sec)
>
> Reading it back only got 50 megabytes/s, not sure why.
>
> --
> Allan Jude

Which one is the server? Windows or FBSD?

I have no problems with either one being the server. The problem is
when FBSD is the client.

I wrote a daemon that executes operations on old DBF/NTX (clipper)
files (Yeah, I know ... but that's what they have for 20+ years ..).

Anyway, a site interacts with this daemon via tcp, with commands to
add/delete/update records/indexes, as well as finding keys on the
indexxes.

I prepared a test that has several of these routines together on a
10.2-STABLE machine.

Enough to say that when executing the tests with the files stored
locally, the whole test takes 3-4 seconds to complete.

When doing the same test with the files on a share on the same wire (1G
connection, no matter which OS runs the share), the test takes around
3:50 minutes to complete!

I am preparing a Centos VM and compiling the deamon on it to check the
results.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br