why is my smbfs slow vs. smbclient/Sharity?

Tom Pepper tom at blorp.com
Wed Sep 14 20:33:46 PDT 2005

Running a 5.4-STABLE build from May 9

Having poor write performance to a number of different hosts/networks
using cp/rsync via mount_smbfs.  Performance hovers in smbfs writes
near 600kB/sec.  Using FTP/Sharity/smbclient in samba3 write
performance is more like 8-9MB/sec.  Is there a performance tweak I'm
missing?  I've already tried increasing sendspace and recvspace to no
avail.

I should mention, hosts consist of HP BL20P G3 blades, and have also
tested against another generic PC.  Network is 100Mbps full duplex
switched, switch and hosts aren't showing any packet errors.

I've tried googling for pertinent information on smbfs/cifs in
freebsd but can mostly only dig up information from Boris Popov circa
2000-2001.

Thanks!
-t