Kernel build when going from WITHOUT_CTF world to WITH_CTF world.

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 20 07:59:55 UTC 2014

On 20 Jan 2014, at 07:23, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial at icloud.com> wrote:

> I’d like to try to fix an annoyance in the kernel build. If you have a world built with WITHOUT_CTF (in my case I had WITHOUT_CDDL that includes WITHOUT_CTF) that does not have a ctfmerge binary (and other related ones) installed the next buildkernel will fail if you have built the world before the kernel build with WITH_CTF set. Of course you can manually go and install the ctfmerge and related binaries before launching the buildkernel process but that is just too hacky for me.  Where should I look and what would be needed to change in the kernel build so that it would check for the ctfmerge binaries from the buildworld that was done before the buildkernel?

This is unfortunately a long-standing problem.  To fix it, the CTF tools
and libraries should be conditionally added to the kernel-tools stage.

As of r260401 (by scottl), this stage is rather empty: aicasm was really
the only tool built specifically for the kernel.  So you would have to
look at Makefile.inc1 before that revision to have an idea of how to add
the CTF tools.

-Dimitry