untaring into ext2fs ./dev/* entries

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jan 20 10:40:14 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm using an OpenSource Linux based cellphone. The software is provided
as a tar-archive which must be unpacked into an ext2fs on a microSD;
I do not have any Linux box and want to do this on my FreeBSD
(10-CURRENT) laptop;

I can mount the ext2fs fine and when I say:

# cd /mnt
# gtar --numeric-owner -xpzf shr-image-om-gta02.tar.gz

it gives errors like this example for all special files:

gtar: ./dev/hda7: Cannot utime: Operation not supported
gtar: ./dev/hda7: Cannot change ownership to uid 0, gid 6: Operation not supported
gtar: ./dev/hda7: Cannot change mode to rw-rw----: Operation not supported

in the tar-archive the file looks like this

# gtar tzvf shr-image-om-gta02.tar.gz | fgrep ./dev/hda7
brw-rw----  0 root       disk          3,7 Jan  8 23:36 ./dev/hda7

and after unpacking into /mnt it is:

# ls -l dev/hda7
brw-------  1 root  wheel  0x307 Jan 20 11:00 dev/hda7

Which is not what we want.

I've checked the man page of devfs(8), but see no way to solve this.

Any ideas?

	matthias

--
Sent from my FreeBSD netbook

Matthias Apitz, <guru at unixarea.de>, http://www.unixarea.de/ f: +49-170-4527211
UNIX since V7 on PDP-11, UNIX on mainframe since ESER 1055 (IBM /370)
UNIX on x86 since SVR4.2 UnixWare 2.1.2, FreeBSD since 2.2.5