creating install media on usb drive

A.G. Russell IV arussell at agrussell.com
Mon Mar 20 15:28:55 UTC 2006

 Hi,

 I'm wanting to create a custom install on a 1gb USB thumb drive.

 I've done an install to the the USB thumb drive using the a option to use
 the entire disk, and then labeled one slice using entire disk, leaving no
 space for swap, and installed the "Minimal" FreeBSD install.

 The drive boots and works beautifully, able to customize, and run.  I have
 already used it for recovery of a failed install.

 Next I removed the contents of the drive, cpio'ed the contents of the
 5.4-i386 iso disc1.  I then copied in the driver for my raid array, and
 modified boot/defaults/loader.conf to load the driver.

 The drive boots and configures the system, but when I try to tell it were
 to install from, I can't seem to be able to tell sysinstall where the
 install media is.  I've tried setting the install to filesystem and /
 and no media is found.

 I've googled, and searched the freebsd mailing archives.

 A.G.