creating install media on usb drive

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:51:27 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, A.G. Russell IV <arussell at agrussell.com> wrote:

> Next I removed the contents of the drive, cpio'ed the contents of the
> 5.4-i386 iso disc1.  I then copied in the driver for my raid array, and
> modified boot/defaults/loader.conf to load the driver.
>
> The drive boots and configures the system, but when I try to tell it were
> to install from, I can't seem to be able to tell sysinstall where the
> install media is.  I've tried setting the install to filesystem and /
> and no media is found.

It seems to me that you might have the problem where the thumbdrive shows up
as da0 when you boot it by itself and da<whatever> when the raid array is
around.  You've got a few ways to fix this.

The old way would be to use hints to force the thumbdrive to be da0.

The new way would be to create your filesystems with the '-L' argument to
newfs and have 'geom_label' load in loader.conf.  This will allow you to
mount /dev/ufs/<labelname> as root rather than da0s1a