buildworld sequence

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Sun Jul 3 08:27:57 GMT 2005

Hi hackers,

I looking for an explanation of the buildworld sequence :
	legacy
	bootstrap tools
	build tools
	cross tools

In fact, I read Makefile.inc1, so I have a basic idea of what each step
does, but I don't really understand
    * what is the legacy step,
    * why strfile(1), gperf(1) and so on are required to be built before
      mostly everything else (bootstrap tools)
    * why utilities in the build-tools target are built before gcc.

I didn't asked all the questions I have in mind, but I would be glad if
someone could give me the general idea behind this or, even better,
point me some documentation.  I checked developpers-handbook, there is
nothing about it, unfortunately.

I was trying to understand this because I need to use a gcc(1) option
in CFLAGS for these tools for my integration of the ProPolice patch
in the build system.

Thank you.

Regards,
--