FreeBSD Port: gnome2-2.20.1

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 12:25:53 PST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:48:21 -0600, Mike Lawrie
<mlawrie at 58havenvillage.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Hi Mezz
>
>> > I'm not sure that I'm going to follow the instructions in that URL,
>>
>> You should, because we can't reproduce your problem. It is difficult for
>> us to figure what's wrong when you don't give us enough details. The 80%
>> or 90% of problems are due users don't keep their installed ports up to
>> date or/and don't follow the /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>
> I'm sure that it's not easy from your end, but then it makes for one
> of the best types of computer games around!
>
> I started with "portsnap fetch update", and got to the point where
> "pkg-version -v" showed that everything was up to date. I then had a
> go at installing gnome. The comment of 20071024 in UPDATING did not
> apply, as I was not updating gnome, I was installing afresh. So I
> fired off "portupgrade -N gnome2", if memory serves correctly, and
> the processed crashed on that missing pango-types.defs. Among many
> other things, like trying to find a pango-types.defs file, searching
> google and elsewhere for any suggestions etc, I tried the
> instructions in UPDATING, but it made no difference.
>

>> > Even if following the instructions in the bugging.html results in a
>> > correct pango-types.defs file, the fact remains that the Makefile
>> > could do with some tweaking to fix the missing dependency.
>>
>> There is no tweak need as it installs fine by default in several of
>> tinderboxes.
>>
>> # grep pango-types\.defs /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk2/pkg-plist
>> share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs
>
> I get the same result as your grep, but in fact none of the pango
> files referred to in that pkg-list are on my system. I've done a "cd
> /; ls -lgR > lslgR" and searched that lslgR file for those files, but
> no go. The output of "pkg_version -v" shows that the only references
> to pango are
>
> gstreamer-plugins-pango-0.10.10_1,2  <  needs updating (port has
> 0.10.14_2,3)
> pango-1.18.3                =  up-to-date with port
> pango-reference-1.18.3_1    =  up-to-date with port
>
> There is no reference to py-gtk2, but there is this
> py25-gtk-2.12.0             =  up-to-date with port

# cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk2
# make -V PKGNAME
py25-gtk-2.12.0

If user has Python 2.4 installed, then it will be py24-gtk-2.12.0. It's
why anybody should be follow bugging.html, that way we can know what users
have installed ports in their system. Did you tweak the PACKAGESITE? Did
you tweak anything else?

> Then, I had a go with "portupgrade -PP gnome2", and found a goodly
> number of packages to be out of date. So I'm now updating them,
> having had to create an empty pango-types.defs file to get past the
> crash relating to this file not being found.
>
> How one can reproduce this I know not, but I still say that the
> Makefile should check that all required files exist before attempting
> a build.
>
> I hope that this does not convey any impression of ingratitude, I
> really do appreciate greatly the efforts that folk like you have put
> into dealing with extremely complex software packages.
>
> Anyway, I'm now going to watch UEFA Cup soccer, and let the
> portupgrade of gnome2 run, until doomsday if necessary <grin>.

I will waiting for your result too.

> Regards
> Mike
>

>> Cheers,
>> Mezz
>>
>> > I've no objection if you regard this problem as closed until or if
>> > you get a report as per bugging.html, the logic (but not detail) of
>> > that file makes good sense.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Mike

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org