FreeBSD Port: gnome2-2.20.1

Mike Lawrie mlawrie at 58havenvillage.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 28 06:29:40 PST 2007

Hi Mezz

> # cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk2
> # make -V PKGNAME
> py25-gtk-2.12.0
>
> If user has Python 2.4 installed, then it will be py24-gtk-2.12.0. It's
> why anybody should be follow bugging.html, that way we can know what users
> have installed ports in their system. Did you tweak the PACKAGESITE? Did
> you tweak anything else?

No tweaks by me, I'm trying to run a simple and standard system, but
would like to have the apps compiled on my system rather than have
packages downloaded that cause portaudit to bitch and so I'd have to
re-compile from a port anyway.

I too got a response of py25-gtk-2.12.0 to your make example. I then
did a "pkg_delete py25-gtk-2.12.0" and a "portupgrade -N py25-gtk-
2.12.0", and magically pango-types.defs and other pango files
appeared in the defs directory. So presumably various programs now
have a better chance of compiling. Don't ask me why pkg_version
showed that py25-gtk-2.12.0 was installed properly when it was not. I
did not delete those pango files.

My system also had both python24-2.4.4_2 and python25-2.5.1_1
installed. I did not install either or both of them explicitly, I
have no idea how to use python so I have no direct need to intall it.
Those versions must have been installed as a result of a dependency
of some kind when using "portupgrade -R some.package.or.other", and
no indication was given that "some.package.or.other" was going to
install a package that was listed in UPDATING for special treatment.
The UPDATING file describes clearly how to install python25 when
python24 is already installed, so I've now followed those
instructions.

This updating of packages/ports on FreeBSD leaves a LOT to be
desired. The FreeBSD manual says to use portupgrade -R, but the
process that is followed takes no notice of what is in UPDATING, so
portupgrade simply installs what it likes and how it likes. The gnome
maintainers say to use "make" or a problem report will/may be
rejected, so we are not all singing from the same hymnsheet, that's
not good. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to put something into
a port's makefile when there is an alert in UPDATING, that something
being there to stop the automatic installation via portupgrade when a
problem will arise? Better still would be to code the UPDATING
instructions into the makefile itself, this is not rocket science.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and help, the problem of the missing
pango-types.defs file is solved, and the case is closed.

Regards
Mike
--
Mike Lawrie.