FreeBSD Port: gnome2-2.20.1

Mike Lawrie mlawrie at 58havenvillage.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 27 11:48:55 PST 2007

Hi Mezz

> > I'm not sure that I'm going to follow the instructions in that URL,
>
> You should, because we can't reproduce your problem. It is difficult for
> us to figure what's wrong when you don't give us enough details. The 80%
> or 90% of problems are due users don't keep their installed ports up to
> date or/and don't follow the /usr/ports/UPDATING.

I'm sure that it's not easy from your end, but then it makes for one
of the best types of computer games around!

I started with "portsnap fetch update", and got to the point where
"pkg-version -v" showed that everything was up to date. I then had a
go at installing gnome. The comment of 20071024 in UPDATING did not
apply, as I was not updating gnome, I was installing afresh. So I
fired off "portupgrade -N gnome2", if memory serves correctly, and
the processed crashed on that missing pango-types.defs. Among many
other things, like trying to find a pango-types.defs file, searching
google and elsewhere for any suggestions etc, I tried the
instructions in UPDATING, but it made no difference.

> > Even if following the instructions in the bugging.html results in a
> > correct pango-types.defs file, the fact remains that the Makefile
> > could do with some tweaking to fix the missing dependency.
>
> There is no tweak need as it installs fine by default in several of
> tinderboxes.
>
> # grep pango-types\.defs /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk2/pkg-plist
> share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs

I get the same result as your grep, but in fact none of the pango
files referred to in that pkg-list are on my system. I've done a "cd
/; ls -lgR > lslgR" and searched that lslgR file for those files, but
no go. The output of "pkg_version -v" shows that the only references
to pango are

gstreamer-plugins-pango-0.10.10_1,2  <  needs updating (port has
0.10.14_2,3)
pango-1.18.3                =  up-to-date with port
pango-reference-1.18.3_1    =  up-to-date with port

There is no reference to py-gtk2, but there is this
py25-gtk-2.12.0             =  up-to-date with port

Then, I had a go with "portupgrade -PP gnome2", and found a goodly
number of packages to be out of date. So I'm now updating them,
having had to create an empty pango-types.defs file to get past the
crash relating to this file not being found.

How one can reproduce this I know not, but I still say that the
Makefile should check that all required files exist before attempting
a build.

I hope that this does not convey any impression of ingratitude, I
really do appreciate greatly the efforts that folk like you have put
into dealing with extremely complex software packages.

Anyway, I'm now going to watch UEFA Cup soccer, and let the
portupgrade of gnome2 run, until doomsday if necessary <grin>.

Regards
Mike

> Cheers,
> Mezz
>
> > I've no objection if you regard this problem as closed until or if
> > you get a report as per bugging.html, the logic (but not detail) of
> > that file makes good sense.
> >
> > Regards
> > Mike
>

> --
> mezz7 at cox.net  -  mezz at FreeBSD.org
> FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/  -  gnome at FreeBSD.org
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org
>

> --

Mike Lawrie.