FreeBSD Port: gnome2-2.20.1

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Nov 27 10:54:19 PST 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:32:09 -0600, Mike Lawrie
<mlawrie at 58havenvillage.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Hi Mezz
>
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:04:59 -0600, Mike Lawrie
>> <mlawrie at 58havenvillage.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> > I've encountered a problem installing gnome2 on my FreeBSD 6.2
>> > release. The last sensible output of the install is below my
>> > signature.
>> >
>> > It seems to me that the problem arises from the command
>> > /usr/local/bin/pygtk-codegen-2.0 trying to operate on the file
>> > /usr/local/share/pygth/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs, which does not
>> -------------------^^^^^
>>
>> A typo, it should be pygtk. I have it in my system:
>>
>> # ls -l /usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs
>> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  12479 Oct 14 13:55
>> /usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs
>
> Yep, a typo of mine, but the failing command refers to pygtk. The
> file did not exist on my system, in the end in desperation I did a
> touch to create a zero-length file, it now looks like this:-
>
> ls -l /usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Nov 27 12:33
> /usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs
>
> The builds of ports now progress much further, but just how usable
> they will be remains to be seen. Seems like it's going to take days
> to catch up. I installed the package (portupgrade -PP gnome2, if I
> remember correctly), which uses out of date packages which now all
> require further updating which I'm doing via ports.
>
> Given that when/if pango-types.defs does not exist for whatever good
> or bad reason, the build crashes due to pygtk-codegen-2.0 failing,
> there is a dependency that should be checked somewhere during/before
> the build, and an instruction sequence fired off to create any
> missing files. Either that or I'm misunderstanding the purpose of a
> Makefile (which is quite possible).
>

>> Please follow complete in http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>> such as how did you reproduce (by show exactly command), what error in
>> output and everything what bugging.html has requested.
>
> I'm not sure that I'm going to follow the instructions in that URL,

You should, because we can't reproduce your problem. It is difficult for
us to figure what's wrong when you don't give us enough details. The 80%
or 90% of problems are due users don't keep their installed ports up to
date or/and don't follow the /usr/ports/UPDATING.

> but I'll be guided by it. Thanks for the reference. Those
> instructions, coupled with the content of
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-
> using.html, require me to run CVSup. As it will be run for the first
> time on my system, I've got to wipe out my /usr/ports directory and
> re-create an empty one for filling by CVSup. As mentioned, I'm using
> portsnap and portsupgrade as it gives me an easy interface.
>
> Even if following the instructions in the bugging.html results in a
> correct pango-types.defs file, the fact remains that the Makefile
> could do with some tweaking to fix the missing dependency.

There is no tweak need as it installs fine by default in several of
tinderboxes.

# grep pango-types\.defs /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-gtk2/pkg-plist
share/pygtk/2.0/defs/pango-types.defs

> I've no objection if you regard this problem as closed until or if
> you get a report as per bugging.html, the logic (but not detail) of
> that file makes good sense.
>
> Regards
> Mike

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org