portupgrade for gnomemeeting fails

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Feb 8 08:09:08 PST 2004

Hi Mezz..,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Sun, 08 Feb, 2004 15:47 GMT
Subject: Re: portupgrade for gnomemeeting fails

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:26:11 +0000, Stacey Roberts
> <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Mezz..,

Sadly.., as it was at that time., I'm oblidged to state again that I "make it a point" *NOT* to tweak anything on the machines, for just the reason as is suggested in your statement above.

Knowing that with OSS there is no guarantee on universal compatibility, I *never* wanted to ever be in the situation where a maintainer has to tell me "sorry, it works for me, so it must be something you've done on your system.., "

I always leave my Gnome2 in its vanilla install. I don't even configure the screensaver, and especially with Gnome, I don't touch sound either. I rebuilt Gnome2 on this box as a direct result of the failed upgrade from Gnome2-2.2 to Gnome2-2.4, with the failure point being the same as is the case now..,

You might wonder about the extremity of my usage here., but its related to my using all systems here at home as template / test installs for the servers / workstations I manage at work. Thankfully I've only got 6 FreeBSD hosts being used for development, and the rest being used for servers - so it wasn't *too* much of a hassle in juggling the Gnome2 rebuilds for those 6 boxes after the issues I had upgrading to Gnome2-2.4 back then.

> Oh wait, do you have ffmpeg install? If you click on next thread above
> link and you will see what Joe has said about it. Serious, all answers are
> in that thread.

Again, I don't have that port installed:
stacey at Demon ~ $ cd /var/db/pkg
stacey at Demon /var/db/pkg $ pkg_info | grep -i ffmpeg*
stacey at Demon /var/db/pkg $ ls -la | grep -i ffmpeg*
stacey at Demon /var/db/pkg $

And can't think of any reason why I'd even consider touching it with a barge-pole considering its immpact on upgrading Gnome2..,

*Any* suggestions that you might have, or any wild hunches at this point would really be appreciated.

Regards,

Stacey

> Cheers,
> Mezz