Font organization

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Apr 8 01:01:53 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 18:43, Will McCutchen wrote:
> Hello, all.  First off, let me say, thanks for making GNOME 2.6 such a
> pleasure to use on FreeBSD.
>
> I have a question:  Is there any way to clean up the mess of fonts
> installed with XFree86 4.3?
>
> I would really like to be able to only use TrueType or OpenType fonts on
> my computer.  I don't use Type1 fonts, and I don't use bitmapped fonts,
> if I can avoid it.  Since XFree86 and GNOME both support TrueType and
> OpenType fonts, it seems like I should be able to eliminate all of
> those hundreds of (seemingly) random font files strewn about in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.
>
> I wish that I could just fill /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts with my .ttf and
> .otf files, and have those be the only fonts on my system.
>
> I understand that there may be some of those "other" fonts that I need
> to keep on my system (maybe just to satisfy X on startup), but I'd
> really like to clean some of them up.
>
> I hope this message made some sense.  Thanks for any help you can give.

This is really only a question you can answer.  GNOME lets you choose
whatever fonts you want to use, and fontconfig/Xft supports TTF/OTF
fonts.  Therefore, if all you're using are GTK+/GNOME apps, you can get
rid of all non-TTF/OTF fonts.  If you're using other applications,
you'll have to keep other font files around.  Which files depends on the
applications.

It's probably safest to keep the 100dpi and misc fonts, then just add
the various TTF fonts you want on top of those.

Joe